How To Shop For Groceries On The Man Diet
The secret to eating healthy meals and losing weight? It starts with buying the right ingredients.
Ever gone grocery shopping while hungry? If yes, then you know from personal experience why that’s a very bad idea. When you shop for groceries on a whim, you’re more likely to make impromptu buying choices. And the things you end up getting are probably overly processed, laden with chemicals and artificial flavours or colours.
In order to prevent this from happening, you need a plan of attack. You need to brainstorm and come up with your meal plans for the week. You also need to put together a shopping list of the ingredients you need to prepare and cook these meals. And you need to do all of this before you even step into a supermarket!
Still not convinced? Here is a list of reasons why doing prep work before your shop for groceries is so important:
- Time – Getting organized before you shop means no more running to the store during rush times when there are long lines at the cash registers.
- Money – By sticking to a specific meal plan and grocery list, you’ll end up saving money in the long run because you won’t be buying expensive and unhealthy convenience foods.
- Wasted Food – Another reason you’ll save money when you prep before you shop? By being organized and following a meal plan, you won’t end up buying food that will rot away and go to waste at the back of your fridge… because you forgot you bought it in the first place!
- Stress – When you stock your house with the proper ingredients that will allow you to prepare what you want to eat, you won’t find yourself stressed over being hungry with nothing to eat ever again.
- Guilt – When you have a pantry filled with the right foods on hand, you can say goodbye to feeling guilty over what you eat.
Alright, so you’ve spent the recommended prep time of one hour, once per week putting together your meal plans. Now it’s time to go over your shopping list, specifically a list of what to buy and what to avoid.
Discover the basic rules to grocery shopping while on The Man Diet:
- Buy Organic & Local – When produce shopping, you should always go for locally grown organic fruits and vegetables. Organic unavailable? Then use a veggie-wash, food grade hydrogen peroxide (or one part vinegar to ten parts water) in order to carefully wash the produce.
- Read the Ingredient List – Generally speaking, you should be avoiding buying processed foods while on The Man Diet. But if you do find yourself buying packaged food items, make sure you read the labels carefully. Pay close attention to the ingredients, and don’t be fooled by marketing terms like “gluten-free” or “omega-rich.”
- Avoid GMO Foods – GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) are living organisms whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated in a lab through genetic engineering. These unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacteria and viral genes are not naturally occurring. And now, there is a growing body of research that links GMOs with potential health problems. Where possible, you should always look for the Non-GMO Project seal on food packaging to ensure that the product you are buying is Non-GMO Project Verified.